The department 'Metallic Materials and Components - Failure Analysis' offers tests and expertises in the field of materials science for the entire field of mechanical engineering. In addition, the department deals with all metallic construction and materials. Especially in the field of failure analysis the department works closely together with the Department of Materials Engineering of the IWT Bremen. The customer can thus be offered a large potential of materials expertise to determine the causes of damage and to develop appropriate solution concepts or measures for damage prevention in cooperation with the customer.
- Determination of classic properties of metallic materials (e.g. material tests on steel, aluminium, copper, titanium, magnesium)
- Tensile test according to DIN EN ISO 6892-1 (sample preparation according to DIN 50125)
- Hardness test according to Rockwell, Vickers, Brinell (DIN EN ISO 6506-1, 6507-1, 6508-1)
- Notched bar impact test according to DIN EN ISO 148-1 (ISO-U, ISO-V)
- Failure analysis on metallic components and machines according to VDI 3822 (e.g. gears, bearings, motors, pipelines, fittings etc.)
- Expert opinion as an expert for insurance companies, courts, companies and private persons
- Consulting in the field of materials science, heat treatment, etc.
- Determination of component properties according to customer specifications
- Non-destructive testing on metals (e.g. dye penetrant testing, magnetic particle testing)
- Heat treatment simulation using a thermomechanical test system (GLEEBLE)
- Corrosion tests (e.g. salt spray test according to DIN EN ISO 6506-1)
- Metallographic analysis (e.g. macrosection, microsection, grain size determination etc.)
- Analyses in scanning electron microscope incl. EDX analysis (e.g. fracture surface analysis (fractography), analysis of corrosion products etc.)
- Element distribution by means of electron beam microprobe, EBSD (Electron Backscatter diffraction)
- Spectral analysis to determine the chemical composition by means of OES, GDOS